The decision to create the York County Community Network was the result of a three-year effort by York County citizens. The Smart Region - York County committee created in January of 1999 was charged with developing vision statement of a hoped for future.
The objectives of the Community Network are to:
- Create and foster a civil dialogue within the community
- Create a place where citizens and visitors to our community may find information about the entire community, its civic organizations, businesses, government, schools, issues and events
- Develop a common meeting place for those interested in the local community
- Ensure that everyone in the community has access to the community network even those that may not have the means
- Increase the communication among and between residents, commuters, businesses in order to share thoughts and views on issues affecting the community.