Who is my delegate or senator?
To contact your representative, find the search bar and type "Who is My Legislator". Click on this item in the list that comes up and follow the prompts.
What is the status of a bill? You will find a summary and complete text of bills at the Legislative Information Service (http://leg1.state.va.us).
Where do I find the VEA Daily Reports? www.veadailyreports.com
Voices for Today's Children is an advocacy group we work with to lobby the General Assembly. How do I get more info from them?
Contact Policy Analyst and Campaign for Children's Mental Health Coordinator, Ashley Everette for more information on children's health and mental health issues in this session: email@example.com
Bea Morris is the VRTA Legislative Chair and sends updates several times a week. Sheila Rogers will try to keep us updated.
Safeguarding and improving the Virginia Retirement System
* Improve the benefits of current retirees and strengthen the the defined benefit component of the retirement plan.
* Provide the health insurance credit for all retired school support personnel.
* Follow the VRS Board certified contribution rate.
* Update the enhanced retirement benefit.
* Oppose any attempt by legislators to place limits, requirements, or regulations on the VRS investments.
* Support and enhance educational and safety-net programs for retirees such as programs offered through the
Virginia Division for the Aging.
* Support and improve driver safety courses.
Supporting and improving public education
* Protect the Standards of Quality and fully fund state mandates through SOQ formulas
* Fund salaries at a level which ensures teaching as a viable career choice and is consistent with the goal of reaching the national average salary.
* Support recruitment and retention programs such as the continuing contract and grievance procedure.
* Support methods of encouraging excellence such as stipends for National Board Certification.
* Provide adequate state and local supervision of charter and virtual schools and prevent them from negatively impacting traditional public schools
* Oppose vouchers and the expansion of tuition tax credit programs.
* Oppose merit pay/pay for performance /differentiated compensation models.
* Oppose legislation that would adversely affect public school programs and funding.