York County Chamber of Commerce
State of Our Chamber Report
September 11, 2003 8:00 am ET FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
The York County Chamber of Commerce was established January 1, 2003 with a mission to develop leaders, accelerate economic growth, and be the voice of business in a competitive community.
We have worked to develop a York County Chamber of Commerce that truly serves the community as the voice of business and offer members great value for their membership investment. Toward this end, we have focused our 2003 efforts in these areas:
- Community Service
- York County Community Network � Our primary community service project that brings together all major community sectors (business, government, education, civic organizations, neighborhoods) in a single Internet portal (www.YorkCountyVA.org). The community network grand opening will be October 13th.
- Highway 17 Revitalization Project � We were significant contributors to the project plan and are establishing a system where community businesses will be able to purchase revitalization project materials from fellow York County businesses at significant savings.
- Leadership Development
- Business Education E-newsletter � A monthly electronic newsletter that will begin publication in the fall and will be offered to every business in York County at no cost. It will offer regular articles from the Chamber of Commerce and Office of Economic Development to enable business leaders to better understand opportunities within the county. Additionally, professionally written articles in eight major business areas (Sales, Marketing, Operations, Business Finance, Management, Personal Finance and Human Resources) will assist community business leaders to remain competitive without leaving their offices.
- Business Development
- �Keep it in the County� Program � A Community Network feature that enables community businesses to receive preferred positioning when community citizens are searching for products and services. Citizens are able to rate businesses on key business factors (Price, Quality, Service, Responsiveness, Timeliness).
- Insurance Program � Getting affordable insurance for chamber members is a key chamber member benefit. We have collaborated with near 30 other chambers of commerce in Virginia to offer exceptional insurance benefits in the areas most requested (Health Insurance, Life Insurance, Dental Insurance, Disability Insurance, Long Term Care Insurance, Limited Indemnity Health Insurance, Vision Coverage, Retirement Program, Legal Resources). Each offering is unique in some manner (Special underwriting, Special rates, Unique offering, Exclusive offering).
- Check Enforcement Program � A no cost to merchant program starting September 3, 2003, sponsored by the Commonwealth�s Attorney. Check offenders pay all costs, so victims pay nothing.
York County has over 4,000 businesses with over 90% of them in the small business category. If the chamber can assist these businesses to prosper, York County will prosper.
Community involvement is the key � if we participate, provide great products and services, and work together York County can get better every year.
For additional information contact:
757 877 5920